Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing #8 RSS Feeds & Readers

Well I created my reader through Google as recommended. Because I want to stay abreast of library information, I subscribed to several library blogs including A Library By Any Other Name and Library Philosopher. Because of my interest in cooking, I subscribed to a bundle on food which directed me to some great recipes. Also my children keep directing me to YouTube for viewing, so (on a lark) I subscribed to a fun bundle which included the latest YouTube postings. Personally I like RSS and newsreaders because they will give me instant access to information that would be intersting as well as helping me professionally.
On a professional note, I can't imagine trying to run a library without the vital information I have run across in the various library blogs. Of course Library By Any Other Name gave me some wonderful information. I laughed when I saw a picture of myself and my class on the blog! Library Philosopher included a Web Filtering Recommendation that I found useful. I think libraries can use RSS to help teachers access some great sites like Kathy Schrock's Kaffeklatsch (her suggestion of Alltop.com was insightful). News connections to various news sources would be beneficial to students as well.

No comments: