Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing #6 Mashups and 3rd Party Site

Very intriguing! Mappr, Trading Card, Captioner, and Jigsaw were some of my favorites. When I accessed Favorite Surfer (pictures) I couldn't believe it when I chose a random person and he had pictures of Alaska to view. (Background info for my amazement at coincidence: my daughter will cycle from Austin to Anchorage this summer for Sensecorp Texas4000 for Cancer so I have Alaska on the brain lately!) His name is David Cartier and he drives a tour bus in Alaska. I loved FD Toys'Trading Card Maker. I could see using this in the library for teachers and students to access for various projects. Since I teach fourth grade social studies and we study U.S. states/capitals, I thought it would be neat for students to make reports with this. Additionally, I thought of trading cards with characters from a book with character analysis on them. A possible GT project would entail students making up a game with trading cards. Two other sites that I liked were Mappr (seemed best for Geography) and Captioner. The thought I had with Captioner was to get students to create stories into books much like comic books. Jigsaw and Mosaic Maker were neat, but I would want them for personal use rather than educational use. I'll have to try a trading card when I get home. I'm visiting family now and want to get some input on some photos from my daughter.

No comments: